22nd ESGLD Workshop and Graduate course
Seva – VIC (Catalonia), Spain, 9–13 October 2019
Pre-booking is necessary. All bookings are on a first come, first served basis. Participants cannot change activity after booking due to safety regulations in some of the buildings to be visited.
Tour 1: Guided tour to Vic center + Cathedral
The excursion includes a visit to the cathedral and the historical center of Vic.
The historical center of Vic is the soul of the city. It’s a lively area where locals and visitors alike gather to stroll, meet up, shop or have fun. It’s also a great part of the city for wandering around and admiring the rich heritage. Built over a Roman city, it’s an urban structure of mediaeval origin whose most noteworthy features are the Market Place, the Roman Temple, the cathedral complex and the Episcopal Museum. In addition to these wonderful attractions, there are other sites, churches, bridges, manor houses or remains of castles and walls that offer us plenty of insight into more than two thousand years of history. The strength of the historical center lies in the harmony of its overall structure, in its hidden corners, in its light and in its aromas
THE CATHEDRAL: The surviving elements of the cathedral built by Bishop Oliba in the 11th century are the bell tower, the crypt and the remains of the church of Santa Maria, whose floorplan is marked out on the paving stones of the cathedral square. The Romanesque bell tower, one of Vic’s main landmarks, is the tallest in Catalonia. Over time, the cathedral was extended and altered on several occasions until the great neoclassical temple was built in the 18th century. At the turn of the 20th century, Josep Maria Sert was commissioned by Bishop Torras i Bages to decorate the cathedral interior.
Tour 2: Guided Excursion to the Monastery of Santa Maria in Ripoll
The ‘cradle’ of Catalonia. This is how the monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll is known and no wonder. Founded by Comte Guifré el Pelós (Count Wilfred the Hairy) in the year 879, under the direction of the Abbot Oliba, it became a major religious and cultural centre, with a large and majestic Romanesque church and a scriptorium with great literary production, on a level with other abbeys in Europe during this period.
The monastery’s 12th century portalada is the most outstanding feature of the complex. This doorway that welcomed the faithful and curious is one of the great sculptures of European Romanesque. It is completely sculpted with scenes from the Old Testament and allegories. This is why it became known as "the Bible of stone". Its monumentality bears witness to Ripoll’s years of splendor. It is with good reason that for many years the monastery was also the pantheon of the counts of Besalú and Girona.
The building underwent several stages of enlargement and reconstruction due to the lack of space, fires, an earthquake and plunder.In 1886, the Bishop of Vic, Josep Morgades, commissioned the reconstruction of the monastery to the architect Elies Rogent. Ripoll recovered the church and the cloister of the 11th century monastery with a Romanesque Revival interpretation.
Tour 3: Guided tour to Bell towers in Vic
Attention: In this tour there are more than 200 steps in narrow stairs, but with nice views as a final prize.
The excursion includes a visit to two bell towers: Cathedral and Church of the Pietat and a visit to the Roman temple and the main square of Vic.
THE BELL TOWER OF THE CATHEDRAL is a magnificent Romanesque building, which was suitable, for several centuries, to the double use both acoustic and symbolic. It is also one of the best-preserved Romanesque bell towers in Catalonia. The total height reaches 57,5 mts.
THE BELL TOWER OF THE PIETAT CHURCH: is a baroque bell tower built between 1680 and 1685. The total height reaches 34,5 mts.
VIC THE MARKET PLACE: Long before the first house was built here, there was an esplanade where an open-air market was held. In the 12th and 13th centuries, buildings began to spring up around it. In order to withstand the inclement weather the houses were built with arcades, which according to local regulations had to be high enough to accommodate a man on horseback. The market is still held there every Tuesday and Saturday. It is the hub of city life and a venue for all sorts of events and celebrations
THE ROMAN TEMPLE: The temple is the only surviving building of the city of Auso, as Vic was called in Roman times. It was built in the 1st century AD on one of the highest sites in the city, facing eastwards in accordance with the rules of the period. It was consecrated to the worship of the emperor. Over the centuries the site has maintained its sacred nature and has remained associated with power.